Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Apple Cake With Caramel Frosting


Yesterday after school the kids and I made a cake. I got the recipe out of a cook book I got for Christmas. We cooked it in my 10 in. cast iron skillet that I also got for Christmas. It was so good! Pictures of it are on my photo album, but I haven't figured out how to post it on my page yet.  Joey (3) with a full mouth said "It's delicious!" Here is the recipe


Preheat oven to 350. Butter the 10 in. skillet, dust with flour and tap out excess


2 1/3 cups all purpase flour * 2 cups granulated sugar * 2 teaspoons baking soda * 1/2 teaspoon salt * 1 teaspoon cinnamon * 4 cups peeled and  grated apples * 1/2 cup veg. shortening * 2 eggs 


Mix dry together and add wet and blend on medium until well blended. Batter will be thick. Place batter in skillet and bake 40 to 45 min. Cool in pan.


The frosting


1/3 cup butter * 1/2 cup light brown sugar * 3 tablespoons whole milk * 1/2 teaspoon vanilla * 1 1/2 cup powder sugar                                                                                           


In a saucepan melt butter and then add brown sugar stir until it dissloves. Add milk and bring to a boil. Pour in to a bowl let cool 10 min. Add the vanilla and powder sugar, mix. Pour on top of cake and serve in skillet.


Jenna grated all the apples and Kristen and Joey helped me with all the measuring, pouring, and mixing. Dad helped by eating it! We all did! It was yummy.


Blessings,


Sarah  






3 comments:

  1. That looks yummy. I am always on the lookout for new recipes for my cast iron collection. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that sounds and looks wonderful!!! YUMMO!!!! I kept the recipe and I am trying it soon!


    God's Blessings,

    Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. the apple caramel cake looks so good. I really like that the whole family helps even your husband!

    ReplyDelete