Friday, March 12, 2010

Yummy Split Pea Soup


I made a delicious split pea soup in the slow cooker. I topped it with some homemade croutons and shredded cheese. It was so good. Like many of you I shop in bulk and try to get enough meat for 2 months. This time I bought a ham at Costco for $15.00 and divided it into 4 meals to freeze and I had the bone left over. I decided to make some soup with it.


The recipe:


one ham bone


l 16oz bag of split peas (washed and rinsed)


4 cups chicken stalk and 2 cups water


palm full of dried onion


galic salt and pepper to taste


cook on low 8-10 hours


remove all the ham from the ham bone and cut it up if need and place back into soup


I made it the day before and then warmed it up the next day in the slow cooker


To top it off I made homemade croutons


The recipe:


I used 4 pieces of white bread cubed


bake for 20 min at 300 degrees


let cool


in a sauce pan on medium heat melt 4-6 tablespoons of butter


add croutons, sprinkle with garlic salt, stir


cook for about 3-5 minutes


(We call them crunchies in our family)


Top soup with croutons, cheese, and enjoy!  I like to stir it all up so the cheese melts and the croutons get all nice a soft.


We often stop at a reaturant called Pea Soup Andersons when we travel. There is one on the I 5 in Santa Nella, Ca. and one on the 101 in Buelton, Ca. They make a veggie pea soup that is yummy. They serve theirs with sides of croutons, cheese, bacon, and chives.   


I hope you enjoy,


Sarah


 

No comments:

Post a Comment