Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tuesday

My Mom came up this morning. She got here around 6:45 am and started to pick the tomatoes that we used today. She also brought with her a treadmill from my sister and a black silkie rooster. He was welcome while he was a chicken then he grew into a rooster :). My sister didn't want him to bother the neighbors. He is really ugly which makes him cute. I woke up around 8:00 and heard Jenna and my mom visiting outside. I made some blueberry smoothies for the kids and we sat outside and enjoyed the cooler weather before it got to hot. We came in around 10 am and got started making the ketchup.

We started to peel, core, and seed the tomatoes. Jenna loves to chop! My dad came up around 10:30 and worked in the garden and with the compost. My mom had stopped off and got some coffee grounds from star bucks. They give it away for free and its great for the compost This is our first year composting. We call my mom the Queen of composting! I just can't believe how much that we use to throw away. We had a quick lunch and while we worked on canning my dad took a nap in the recliner. Roger went back to work and Kristen went out with him. My dad headed home after his nap and we finished up our sauces. We ended up with 4 pints of ketchup, 10 pints of pizza sauce, and 7 quarts of spaghetti. We still had tons of tomatoes so my mom and dad are going to make salsa tomorrow. Can't wait for some of that.

After canning we went out to the garden and picked some veggies for my mom to take home and I watered. Joey played in the mud so when I was done watering I sprayed him off with the hose came inside and got him in the shower. Jenna helped me with dinner. We had roasted chicken, red smashed potatoes w/ country gravy and some green beans.  We  all watched the Duggars and the then girls  got in the shower and got ready for bed. Roger and I set up the treadmill and I took a stroll on it :) Then we finished the night out with some TV and we are now heading for bed. Thanks mom and dad for all your help. 

I am Happy,

Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I just love your blog and it sounds like you have been really busy making all sorts of lovely goodies from your tomatoes - yum :)

    I trust that you have a blessed day today
    Blessings
    Page

    ReplyDelete
  2. We generally give our kitchen scraps (except meats) to the chickens, pigs, and turkeys. We then use the manure on the garden and berry patches.

    Have a great day today.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe that you are still canning tomatoes. Our plants are almost finished producing. This has been a wonderful year for our garden. I have canned so many tomatoes that I almost had nightmares. lol. It will be so wonderful this winter to use some of these wonderful products. God Bless. I

    ReplyDelete