Friday, October 8, 2010

The Harvest Continues at The Vineyard Homestead

004

The trays have been rolled. They sit like this a couple of days so that the raisins even out. Some are dryer than others so they will absorb the juice from the more plump raisins.

036

A crew goes down each row all with a job. They routate their job so no one gets wore out. The first and I think best job is the tractor driver.

039

The two men on the outside row pick up several of the rolled paper trays full of raisins and throw them over the vines into the raisins bins. Isn't that amazing. The trays are heavy I could not throw them over the vines and they would probably not make it into the bins.

040

The two man crew that rides on the bin trailor take the rolled paper trays and empty the raisins into the bins. Then they take the paper tray and put it on the spikes on the trailor. When the spikes are full they will burn the paper trays at the end of the row. I didn't get a picture of this. I love the smell of the paper trays burning on a cool crisp morning.

023
When the bins are full they roll them off the trailor where Roger and Joey picked them up with the forklift and stacked them up to store them until thier next step.
020
The raisins in the bins. Ready for the next step of the journey.
Please check out the first harvest post a few post back. I am sorry I haven't figured out how to do a link.

I am Happy,

Sarah

3 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed reading about your harvest of grapes. A lot of work goes into it. They pictures were wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pics and the story. I learned alot amd reslly enjoyed this. Makes me more thankful for the raisins I ate earlier this evening for a snack. God's Blessings, Amy Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting blog! Congrataulations of being named Blogger of the week!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete