Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Laundry Celebration



OK celebrating laundry is a little weird, but I'm not celebrating laundry I'm celebrating homemade laundry soap! It has been one year sense I started making my own. I kept track of how much everything cost me and how long it lasted. I made it four times in one year. Each time I made a five gallon bucket. I saved my old laundry containers (2) and used those to dispense the soap. Here is what I figured I saved by making my own:

1 bottle of laundry soap every 3 weeks $9.99 = $169.83 not including tax
1 five gallon buckets 4 times a year = a total of $12.39 and that rounding up on my ingredients
My total savings is $157.44. That is worth CELEBRATING! Don't you think?

This is the recipe that I use:
1/2 a bar of grated Zote (Jenna love to grate this)
1 cup washer soda
1 cup borax
Hot water

Grate soap and put it in a saucepan cover with water and heat until dissolved
poor into five gallon bucket
add washer soda and borax
stir
fill the rest of bucket with very hot water
stir
let sit over night

stir
It's that easy!
You can also add essential oil to this about 20 drops. I have not done this but will try it soon (waiting for birthday present). I do pre-treat stains with Oxi Clean Laundry stain remover. It is like a spray and wash. My clothes always smell, feel and look clean!

picture from fairygraphic.com

I am Happy,

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. That is great. I also make mine and it does save a lot. Right now I am using soap that was in my husband's aunt's basement that they didn't want. I think I have enough for another year. I think that it cleans just as good.

    Have a great day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a savings!! Thanks for sharing with us..........Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went out and got washer soda and borax. I have some Fels Naptha soap...would that work instead of Zote? I'm not sure any of the stores in my town have Zote. I'm so excited to try this! I coupon ruthlessly, mostly because laundry soap is so expensive and with 3 boys and a husband who live on a farm, I have LOTS of laundry ALL the time! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erin,

    Yes you can use Fels Naptha use the whole bar. I couldn't find it here. so I had to buy the Zote it is a bigger bar so I use half. Make sure you have a spray and wash of some sort because the tough stains will not come out just using this detergent. I hope you like it! I love it. I always have it on hand so if I run out I can just make up another batch! Have a wonderful weekend!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete