Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Day 1

25 Days of a Homespun Christmas


 


 


Welcome to Day 1 of my 25 Days of a Homespun Christmas. I thought the best way to start out this count down was with an Advent Calendar! 049

I wanted a homespun Advent calendar so I started to think of the best way to do this. I'm a beginner at sewing so I enlisted the help of my MIL Kathy. She helped make my plan a reality! I didn't want to buy any new material for this, so I chose from what I had. I love the way it turned out .

005

Kathy also wrote out a tutorial for you all if you would like to make one.

Materials: Backing 32" width 45" length

Pockets 16" width 7" length

Ribbon 81/2 " length

2 large buttons

Fold pocket strips in half and iron so they are 3 1/2" long. Sew strips around open edges using a 1/4" seem.

010

Once all pockets strips are finished. Mark backing starting at the bottom where the pockets will go. Pin pockets strips so right side of pocket is facing backing. Once strips are sewn you will pull them up for final stitching on sides. Each row should be 1/4" apart. Iron each strip on fabric with material turned up to form pocket. Mark every 3" on pocket slips across. You can either sew a line us a decorative stitch through all pockets or tack each strip at those four points so that each pocket strip will have five individual pockets in it.

012

Now with the right sides of backing together sew side seams and bottom seam, leaving an opening to turn calendar inside out. Stitch up bottom after turning inside out.

013

Measure ribbon and cut. Place so three inches is over lapping top of calendar front and back. Sew button on to hold ribbon.

020

I simply took a tree branch and gave it a quick coat of white paint to hang my calendar.

Now for the tags.

Materials: White card stalk 81/2" x 11"

scissors and ruler or Fiskars cutting system

hole punch

ribbon

sharpe

corner rounder punch (optional)

cut card stock into 5" x 2 1/2" strips ( you should get six out of 1 sheet of card stock)

041

You take your tag and round corners, punch a hole in to center, tie on ribbon, and write number.

043

On the lower half of the tag write out different things for each day. This could be anything from a Bible verse to a special treat. You can fill some of the pockets with little treats. I put nice things to do for others like making someone a hot cup of cocoa.

050

052

051

I hope you all have a wonderful day and thank you visiting my 25 Days of a Homespun Christmas. Please let me know what you think, share your family advent calendar, or if you make one please let me know. I will see you tomorrow with day 2. A special thanks to Kathy for all your help.

I am Happy,

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job on that. I wish my kids were still little to enjoy that. I hope that you and your family have a wonderful day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so GREAT! I love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah you did a wonderful job. It is so precious and something you can use every year! Looking forward to tomorrow's post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! You did a wonderful job on your Advent calendar! I look forward to seeing the rest of your Homespun Christmas posts!

    ~Jennie

    ReplyDelete