Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My Two Cents on Composting

005

I thought I would share what I know about composting. Which is not a whole lot :). We have been composting for about 8 months now. My dad is the one that is in charge of it. Both of our house hold supply it. We have two fruit bins that we compost in. They are large and have slats on all four sides to allow air in.  The best part is they were free! Many farmer are switching from the wood bin to plastic bins. They last longer and don't require repair. We keep the compost in the back of our property near the old equipment and junk cars from our towing co.

007

This our oldest bin. It is looking good and it will be great for our garden. We put all our fresh fruits and veggie scraps from the kitchen along with garden clippings. We also add paper of all kinds except anything with a waxy film. The best part is that my mom often picks up used coffee grounds from her local coffee shop (Starbucks) They are free and great for the compost.

008

This one is not as far along. When my mom and dad come down for a visit and to work in the garden he waters and turns it. This can be done more often and it will help your compost to move along quicker. It is important to keep it moist.

011

This is all stuff waiting to go into the compost. My dad will be running it through a chipper before adding. That way it will break down much quicker.

We keep a large bowl near my kitchen sink and where I do most of my chopping. Everything that can be composted including paper towel rolls and toilet paper rolls go into this bowl. Which ever of my wonderful daughters has kitchen duty gets to run it out. I cant believe how much stuff that we use to throw away. Now we have great fertilizer for our garden next year.

I am still learning about composting and this is new to us. I'm excited to see how it helps our garden next spring. If  anyone has some advice for our compost please leave me a comment.

I am Happy,

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. I'm a city-girl who wants to make good use of what I have...one thing I keep considering is how much I toss. I would love to compost for my future garden.
    I just read quite a bit of your blog (I'm new here) and really enjoyed it! I am going to see if I can get some pizza pockets in the freezer this weekend - my teenagers would love it!
    I like we live in the same region - I'm in the Sacramento Valley. I bet you are south of us if you are growing raisins!
    I can't wait to come visit again! :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    I live near Fresno about 20 miles west. I've been to Sac. many times. Welcome to HSB I will stop by your blog! My MIL is trying to teach me to knit its not going so well. Maybe I just don't have it in me :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got some more coffee grounds today at Starbuck!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to start me a compost bin. I didn't know you could put paper towels in them and stuff. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Composting is a great way to go. As we have animals, ours goes through another process. We give them all the food scraps, etc. In turn, when the hen house is cleaned out that all gets spread on the garden and then worked in. We will also give a lot of food scraps to our pigs when we raise them. The manure will be spread on the garden as well.

    Have a great day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm starting one myself this spring/ don't have a placed picked out for it now. I like how you did yours. I will shred everything like you and in it goes. I also wanted to thank you for visiting my blog, have a good night. sherry

    ReplyDelete