Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 14


Welcome all to Day 14 of my 25 Days of a Homespun Christmas. My sister is the baker of the family. She loves to bake and every time we get together for dinner she is in charge of desert! We always look forward to see what she has made. My favorite is a pineapple cake with toasted coconut and homemade whipped cream! My daughter Kristen loves Auntie Hope's Cherry cake with cream cheese frosting and always request it as her birthday cake. You can always count on desert to be in some form of pumpkin flavor September through November and of course as any good family would we like to tease her about it! Starting the first weekend in December she is busy baking lots of yummy homemade treats to give as gifts. I think homemade gifts are the best gift you can give. I like that you are doing something you love to give to someone you love! What could be more special then that? I asked her to share one of the cookies that will be in her gift tin this year! She said this one is her favorite.

Mocha Nut Balls                                                       
 
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 Tbsp instant coffee granules
1 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
Confectioners sugar
 
In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla.  Combine the flour, cocoa, and coffee granules; gradually add to cream mixture and mix well.  Stir in nuts.  Roll into I inch balls.  Place two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  bake at 325 degrees for 14 – 16 minutes or until firm.  Cool on pans for 1 minute before removing to wire rack.  Roll warm cookies in confectioners sugar.
 
Thank you Hope!
 
I am Happy,
 
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. Of course I like anything chocolate.

    I hope you all aren't floating away with all the rain. Stay dry and have a great day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shortbread cookies with nuts rolled in powdered sugar!!!
    You are the best!!!

    Love,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did your mom really write the above comment? That was super sweet if so! I am gonna write this recipe down...I have tons of pecans and always looking for ways to use them. Tell your sis thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete