Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 17

Welcome to day 17 of my 25 Days of a Homespun Christmas. Tamales are a big part of the Christmas dinner here in California and the south west. Roger's Granny and Pop always had tamales for Christmas eve dinner and we always had them at Christmas time when I was a kid. Last year my mom, sister and I made our own tamales. We decide to make them again this year a little different. Last year we made them with shreded beef and some with shreded pork. We made a Chile sauce that goes into the meat. It took all day so this year we thought we would do it with ground beef with taco seasoning (my dad's idea). It went so much faster and there were a lot less dishes to clean :).

Here is what we used:


6 lbs. ground beef
taco seasoning
cheese
olives
masa
corn husks
Tamale steamer

spread masa onto corn husk, fill with meat, cheese, olive. Roll up tamale and fold bottom.
After assembling tamale they need to be steamed  standing up for 2-2 1/2 hours.

 .

Then enjoy! They are so good and the best part was to spend the day with my mom and sister!

I am Happy,

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. I have never made tamales before. It sounds really good.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete