Thursday, December 2, 2010

Day 2



25 Days of a Homespun Christmas


 


Welcome everyone to Day 2 of my 25 Days of a Homespun Christmas. I hope this chilly holiday season is treating you well. I love garlands especially ones that look like they could of come out of the olden days. I often make garland for my corner hutch that sits in my dinning area. This hutch was my husband's granny and I love it so much. It hold the things that are dear to me and it goes along with Granny's table that I think is the heart of our home. We spend a lot of time in this room. This is where we do our school, put together a puzzle, color, paint, craft, and of course gather here for warm cooked with love meals. I loved to come here for a visit and eat at Granny's home she was an amazing cook and she loved to do it. We have lived here in Pop and Granny's house for 4 years. When Granny past away the home was to large for Pop and he wanted us to have it. I love being here this was a warm home for Roger to visit as a child and the memories here at The Vineyard homestead are priceless to us.  What a blessed life I have!


So back to the garland this is so easy and fun. My girls often make them with me.


 


019

These medallion garland can be made from any kind of paper you have like card stock. wrapping paper, construction paper, even newspaper. You can make them all sizes and they also make really cute gift tags or ornaments.

056

Materials: Card stock 8 1/2x 11
glue (glue gun works best)
Fiskars cutter or scissors
yarn, sting, or twine
circle cutter, writting compass, or something to trace 2 sizes
sharpie
stamps (optional)
dress ups (optional)
060

Cut you card stock in half to equal 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" then fold both pieces like a fan. You want to bend your fan in half. You then take both halves and glue them together.
061
I used double sided crafting tape, but think that the glue gun works better.
063
cut out your circles if you don't have a a cutting system cups and jars work well for tracing.
after you get them cut out tape or glue them together and write your letters on them. I also used a holiday stamp on mine, but you could draw holly or candy cane on yours.
065

After that is done you want to glue your circles onto your medallions. Then you want to attach them to a string of yarn using glue. I use a long piece of yarn on the center of my medallions then I tie a short piece of yarn to the garland and attach the tops of the medallion to it. It helps it to hang better. You can see it in the picture.

015

For the smaller medallions I cut my card stock to 3" x 11" and folded like a fan. Then I folded it in half and then back over the other way and glued it together. I cute circles out like the other medallions and added a dress up to the center.

I really love it and it looks so much better in person. I hope you will give it a try I would love to see yours. Have a very blessed day.

I am Happy,

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Very festive, very pretty, & so very simple. Thank you for sharing the idea. You have my wheels turning now trying figure out where I could hang one if I made it.

    May God bless you & keep you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them. They are nice and simple to do. Thanks for the ideas.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two great ideas and just 23 more to go and looking so forward to tomorrow and everyday until CHRISTMAS!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great babygirl. You are so creative. I have so many great memories of our home and you just keep adding to them. I too love Granny's table and hutch. I feel honored that they were left to us. However, I think it's you and the children that are the heart of this home because it's only when your all there that it feels alive and warm.

    Big Dog Daddy

    ReplyDelete