Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 3



25 Days of a Homespun Christmas


 


Welcome to day 3 of my 25 Days of a Homespun Christmas. Today I'm sharing Granny's Minted Walnuts with all of you. Recently Pop was over and saw all the walnuts that my mom had given us. He looked up at Roger with a smile and said do your remember when Granny use to make minted walnuts? He went on and on about how good they were, so I really wanted to try them. I looked on the net to find a recipe for them and found lots, but was wishing that I had Granny's recipe. Well I should wish more often because I was telling my MIL and she had the recipe!!! So I'm going to share it with all of you!

Photobucket

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 T Karo syrup (white)
few drops of peppermint extract or mint extract
food coloring green or red
36 small marshmallows or six large marshmallows cut into small pieces
3 cups of walnuts

Cook water, sugar, Karo syrup until it spins a thread. Then add flavoring, food coloring, and marshmallows. Stir until dissolve then add walnuts and mix. Dump unto wax paper and let cool completely.
Photobucket

I made cute and simple gift tags with the empty walnut shells. I just took the shell halves and placed them on white card stock. I traced around them and cut it out. Then I took some ribbon and hot glued that and the card stalk to the shell. How cute and simple is that. I must say some very Homespun gift tags.

If you were wondering who these Minted Walnuts are going to it's Pop of course! I hope you are having a yummy holiday season.

I am Happy,

Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I just checked and there wasn't a new homespun Christmas and before I was done on the computer there it was. I'm going to tried this with vanilla flavoring.

    Thanks,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom thats a great idea! I think I will give it a try too. The minted ones were so good. Better than I thought they would be. Love you.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good. I like the idea of using the walnut shell and card stock to make a tag.

    Have a great day.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the walnuts, I know Pop will love them. Seeing them again has brought back so many memories from Christmas with Granny. She was always making candy and breads to give to everyone has gifts. On Christmas Eve there was always platefuls of Minted Walnuts, Date Nut Loaf, Divinity, numerous flavors of fudge, Almond Rocha, peanut brittle and so many others for us all to share while we opened Christmas presents with the extended family. There was also warm loaves of zucchini, pumpkin and banana nut bread ready to spread your favorite topping on. Thank you for bringing all the wonderful sights and smells that Granny's holiday baking have brought to mind. I miss those times but you have helped to bring them back for me and that is a wonderful Christmas gift. I love you more than you will ever know and with each passing year I find more reasons that I am so thankful the good Lord brought you into my son's life. Mema

    ReplyDelete