Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hummingbird Cake

We went to my mom and dad's house for dinner last night. We had tacos and tamales YUM! My sister made this Hummingbird cake for dessert. It is so delicious and she gave me the recipe. The drive home was a little scary the fog was so thick and people were driving 30 mph. down the freeway. We prayed for a safe trip home and Praise The Lord! We made it just fine. It just took a lot longer than usually a 45 min drive turned into 1 1/2 hour drive.

Hummingbird Cake

1 yellow cake mix (plus ingredients on box)
1 tsp vanilla (my sister adds vanilla to white/yellow cake mixes)
Bake with directions on box in a 13"x9" pan. Let cool

1 8 oz box soften cream cheese
1 small box of vanilla instant pudding
2 cups cold milk
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple  drained
mix this together and spread on cake. Place cake into refrigerator for 1 hour to set.

1/2 cup pecans (chopped) 
1/2 cup coconut
toast under broiler (watch!) 2 min

Spread 1 small carton of cool whip onto cake. Sprinkle toasted pecans and coconut and place cherries on top.

                                                                    ENJOY!


I am Happy,

Sarah
 



8 comments:

  1. Yes your Mom also says PRAISE THE LORD!!!! The cake was soooo good. Hope you are a great baker!
    Love You Both,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks good. Praise the Lord that you got home safely. Fog can be bad to drive in. I remember a time driving through really bad fog going up to Castle Air Force base to visit my sister once.

    Have a great evening with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl,

    Thanks I know exactly where Castle Air Force base is. They have closed the base a few years ago and now they have a air musuem there and some other things. I grew up about 15 miles from there and always new people from the air force from neighhbors to church family. If you ever come back to this area you will have to come for a visit.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has made that cake and it is delicious! I am so glad you made it safely home in that fog! I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, that looks good. I'm not big on coconut, but I think I could look past it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy that you made it home safely!! The hummingbird cake looks delicious. My son and I are the only ones in the family that will eat coconut. I think we could handle eating the whole cake :)

    I have stepped on legos lots of times. Having a lego addict in the house really hurts sometimes!!

    I hope you are having a wonderful week.

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake looks delicous. It's been a long time since I have made one. Now after seeing that one, I will put it on my menu.:) Glad you made it home safely. Have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try it. It looks delicious! I am always looking for new dessert recipe. We do a ladies bible study at my home on Fridays and we take turns bring dessert. I think I will make this when my turn comes. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete