Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Nest Building Basket

I have been wanting to make one of these for a while now. Last fall when I picked up a garden magazine at Home Depot while Roger was looking for man things. I saw a picture of a nest building basket hanging on a fence. I had never seen one or even thought to of done something like this. It was really pretty and how fun it would be to find pieces of yarn or ribbon in a nest that came from your building supplies. Yesterday the kids had a dentist appointment in our little town and across the street is a Hinds Hospice thrift store. After their appointment we walked over and was looking at all the fun things when I came across this white basket with a flat back for $.50. It was perfect for a nest building basket and what a great price. I bought it of course and when I got home I started looking around for things to fill it with.  I put some spanish moss, red yarn, twigs from the yard, and some straw basket filler.

I put it out today and hung it on one of our evergreen trees that is always full of birds. Spring comes early around our parts and I have already noticed lots more birds sing around here. I can't wait till they start to use it to build their homes!

I am Happy,

Sarah  

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, a nest building basket is such a great idea! My kids and I love finding nests and looking through them to see what the birds used. Some unusual things we have found are Christmas tinsel and cigarette butts. I bet the birds will be busy using your basket for their nests!

    Have a nice evening, Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be fun to see a nest with things used out of the basket.

    CUTE!!! Love,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was good idea! It is fun to see what they build their nest with. I hope they enjoy your thoughtful gifts to them. You never know you might just find a bird building a nest in your basket too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this either. Neat. Let us know if the birds use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. We always have a lot of birds around our place (it helps keep the mosquito population down). Emily is our bird girl and usually knows where are the nests are, etc.

    Have a great day with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea. We will definitely be making us one. Once we had an old blue tarp covering some wood and an Orchard Oriole used pieces of it to build his nest. When the wind blew the nest down, you could see the blue tarp running all through it. The next year I put pieces of yarn out and about but I'm not sure if he used any of them. I am so ready for spring and the sounds of birds singing. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute basket. We put out nesting material this year because Mathin is in cub scouts and he built a birdhouse. We didn't use a basket. We just stuffed it into the crook of the tree under the nest. Wish I had thought about the basket. I like that idea. Reminds me...we need to check and see if they actually made a nest in the house.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm writting to you again..LOL :0 I was wanting to tell you that when you try out your new dehydrator will you give me a holler and tell me how you like it, if you won't mind. Thanks a bunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful idea. I will have to give that a try this spring. It is so easy and I have a ton of baskets. Perhaps that will keep the birds from stealing the straw from some of the hanging baskets, but then I really do not mind sharing with God's winged little creatures.
    Have a lovely day, Sarah

    ReplyDelete