Sunday, January 30, 2011

Putting Christmas Presents to Use




I got a wonderful! (can't believe I lived without one) Apple peeler/corer. I have been using this quite often. My kids love their apples cut up this way. Thanks mom and dad for the great gift.


I also received a dehydrator from my husband for Christmas. It is an Excalibur 2900, 9 tray dehydrator. I got it out and loaded it up with apples. It worked so well and the apples turned out perfect. I bought a bag of apples for $2.99 and used them all. It filled three and half trays up and I ended up with a quart jar full. I really can't wait to use it this garden season.

Applesauce using dehydrated apples

2 cups of dehydrated apples 
1 quart of water
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
cinnamon to taste

Before adding apples to water, cut into small pieces. Bring to a boil. Add sugar and cinnamon.Simmer for 30 to 40 min. covered, stirring occasionally. Refrigerate.

ENJOY!
I am Happy,

Sarah

8 comments:

  1. I think that dried apples are my favorite. We tried some pineapple last summer and strawberries. The pineapple was really good. I will dry onions and then put them in the freezer to use throughout the winter.

    Have a great evening with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be there on Tuesday so save us some!

    Love,Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have gotta get me one of those (and the apple peeler)!!! So glad you liked yours. Did all of the trays get evenly dried? I bet those apples were delicious! I migh be back to ask some questions. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both very handy pieces of eguipment. I use both of mine quite a lot. We make a lot of jerky with our dehydrator as well as apples. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Cary Ann,

    Yes, everything dried evenly. They are good. I think I might go a little thicker cut on the apples next time. It was easy to use and I am looking foward to making jerky.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. That apple peeler/corer looks very handy.

    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love our peeler/corer/slicer also. The kids call it the apple slinky maker LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love kitchen gadgets. Have fun using yours.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete