Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Braces, Pre-K, and Home Life

Our Kristen is ready for braces. We took her Tuesday for her first appointment and they took x-rays and pictures of her teeth. Kristen has an over bite and her lower jaw is not aliened correctly. She will be required to ware a Herbst Appliance for 15 months. It's not pretty! The poor girl. The orthodontist says that you won't be able to see it unless she shows someone and that it won't hurt.



Along with the Herbst Appliance she will have braces to straiten her teeth and fix her front teeth from flaring. She will have the braces for 24 months and then wear a retainer for the rest of her life (only at night after the first year). All this will cost us $5,810.00. Is that not crazy? She is worth it and we are glad to be able to do it for her.

My mom and I went and visited a Christian preschool in our area. I have been thinking about sending Joey a couple days a week. The girls are so much older then him and even though they include and play with him I think he would enjoy the interaction with kids (boys) his age. We thought it would be a great place for him to go. The staff was really nice and it looks like they do all kinds of fun things. He will also get one on one time with a reading teacher! That's a plus. It will cost us $35.00 a week which is doable.

We have not decided  where he will go to school when kindergarten starts. My girls went to a Christian school here in town before we home schooled. It is over $300 a month per kid and we don't have that kind of money. We have looked into the county school here and think that it might be the best place for him. I would home school him, but I don't want to be responsible to teach him to read. That makes me nervous. We are praying about it and I know God will lead us in the right direction!

It is nice and sunny here today and it feel around 60 degrees outside. We don't have any big plans today other than school. Kristen left today to go with Grandma and Papa to Palm Springs. She was really excited to be invited. My parents like to take one of the grand kids with them on trips. They all get their turns and always have such a fun time. They are planning on doing some hiking in Joshua Tree and maybe a trip to the zoo. They will not be back until Saturday and I am already missing Kristen. She bought a camera before she left with some of the money she has saved. I can't wait to see her pictures. Jenna has two test today one in math and one in science, so school will go by quickly. She has asked to go to the dollar store latter ( a girl after my own heart) so we will do that.

We will have chicken tortilla soup for dinner tonight served over rice. It should be really good and hit the spot.

I am Happy,

Sarah

8 comments:

  1. I hope that she adjusts well to braces. I am so thankful that my kids did not need them. How fun for her to go to Palm Springs with her grandparents. That will be a special time. I love to see the pictures of Joshua Trees. One of the last times our son (Joshua) went down with us to So. CA we took a picture of him next to a Joshua Tree.

    I did not want to teach my kids to read either. We started schooling at home when the youngest was starting 2nd grade. It is a hard job.

    Have a great evening with your family. Your supper sounds great.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I would let her post about her trip when she gets back. It would be fun for her. My dad has been talking about this trip for about 4 years now so I am glad they got to go.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are here and the wind is blowing 30 miles an hour. It does look like a hypralic leave.

    Love you,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I would not be able to teach my son to read but it turned out to be the easiest thing ever. It just all came together like a puzzle even when you didn't realize it was (if that makes since). But I do feel you should do whatever you feel comfortable with. I hope everything goes well with the braces.And hope daughter has a great trip.It sounds like she'll have lots of fun!The soup and rice sounds delicious! Hope you have a great Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cary Ann. We have not ruled out home chool for him. It's nice to hear what others have done. What curriculum did you use with him? The soup was delicious.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pray all goes well with your daughter and her braces. It looks really painful! I am sure she will have a great time with her grandparents. We love the time we get to spend with our grandkids. I will be praying for you on the decision involving your son. We all must follow where the Lord leads. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our oldest son has braces now. They should be coming off sometime in May. They are expensive but they are worth it. He only had to wear his around 18 months. The cost for his was about the same as yours.
    I taught kindergarten in the public school system before we started homeschooling, then I opened a kindergarten preschool out of my home until DD#2 was born. I am currently tutoring one of my friends daughters in reading right now. I just got news tonight that she progressed two levels in a month since we started tutoring. She was behind, so I think we will have her caught up by the end of the year. I know you will make the right decision with you son. I hope your DD has fun on her trip. Have a great weekend.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  8. SARAH!!!! Who did you take Kris to? Why did you not bring Kristen to my office??? I can get you a discount! Oh...and Katelyn has that same appliance! Let me know if you want info, our exam is free. Can probably save you at least $1000...$5800 is expensive! (sorry...just my thoughts. :))

    ReplyDelete