Friday, February 11, 2011

Kristen's Fun Trip

 My daughter Kristen got to go on a great trip with Grandma and Papa and I thought it would be fun for her to share about it. Please give a warm welcome and enjoy reading about Kristen's trip.

  Grandma and Papa took me on a fun trip to Palm Springs in southern California. It took a long time to get there, about six hours. Yucca Valley is were we stayed for two of the three nights.We nicknamed it Yucky Ville, because all there is is dirt! LOL.


 We went to Joshua Tree National Park the following morning. But first we stopped at a souvenir shop and brought some surprises  for Jenna, Joey, and Abby. There had to be at least 5,000 Joshua Trees, there was just one after other! The park is also known for great rock climbing rocks. All that was there was huge boulders that made up the mountains and Joshua Trees. Did you know that Joshua Trees only grow an 1/2 inch each year?
I'm taller than my Grandma!

This guy is free climbing

 
    After that we drove to Palm Springs to tour the air museum there. There was lots of World War I and II planes. Papa knew a lot about the air planes, fighters, bombers, etc. He told me some great stories about most of them. Papa was in the Vietnam War. He was a gunner's mate in the navy. They had a flight simulator upstairs. There I learned  how to fly PF 51 Mustang, and I shot a German Bomber's wing! That was the best air museum I have ever been to ( and I've been to a lot)! 
The Corsair. Papa's favorite plane. 

My favorite plane comes with a story.The Spitfire would be hiding in a fake haystack in England in World War II. When the German bombers flew over to bomb the cities the Spitfire would come out from the haystack and shoot them down.

After the air museum we went to check out the aerial tram. We didn't think we would go because it was late, but we decided to go. There was a lot of people, but we got to see all sides because the floors turned so you could see out all the windows. We were six thousand feet up and just hanging by a cable. When we got to the top of the mountain there was icy snow and it was super windy. We could see six cities and the Salton Sea from there. I now have a shirt that says that I made it to the top.

You didn't believe me when I said it was windy?


The next morning we went to the Living Desert Zoo. It was like an African safari. They had giraffes, ostriches, gazelles, zebras, and meerkats. I got to feed the giraffe. He had a really long tongue that felt like sand paper and it was blue. I got to pet the miniature goats in the petting pin. We went into the Discovery Center and did lots of fun things.  We also saw a hummingbird hatching eggs in her nest. In the Indian kitchen I got to use the mortar and pestle.
My favorite animals were the meerkats. They were playing freeze tag. Two others were having a nap rolled up in a ball. They were sooooooooo cute!


Then we stared our long trip home.

I had so much fun,

Kristen
  

5 comments:

  1. What a fun trip you got to take!! Thank you for sharing with us all. I really enjoyed all your pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip. Your daughter did a great job with the pictures and writing. I have to say that my favorite picture was on top the mountain with the wind. My husband proposed to me up there almost 23 years ago.

    Have a great evening with your family.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had so much fun too. I do agree with you it was a long drive!!!!!!

    Love you lots,Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had fun on your trip. I don't think I would have made it to the top. I'm afraid of heights.:) My sons would love that air museum. Simulators are lots of fun I agree! I enjoyed looking at your pictures. Have a great weekend.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoyed reading about your daughters trip. I am glad she had such a nice time. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete