Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Almond Blossoms


I was surprise to here that not everyone have seen an almond tree. We have so many different things growing here in our valley. I just saw some corn already a knee high (for cow feed). I am mostly surrounded by orchards or vineyards, but on the west side of our valley is where most of the row crops are grown. I remember as a little girl my parents would drive down the road telling us what kinds of things were growing out in the fields. Roger and I find ourselves doing the same things. The funny thing is when I was young all I could think was what's the big deal? It's just plants.. LOL.
Your windshield will not be a very pretty sight with all these bees pollinating
Have you ever seen an almond orchard being harvested? They take a machine/tractor that is totally enclosed and really low to the ground so it fits under the trees. It has an arm with a claw on the front of it that grabs ahold of the tree trunk and shakes all the almonds off the tree unto the ground. Then they have a machine that is a large vacuum that comes and vacuums up the almonds. Both of these cause tons of dust in the air and during school days the schools around here do not let the kids outside to play because of the bad air quality.


I am not an expert on almonds and just sharing what I have observed living here for the past 16 years. I'm sure I have given you the simple version of almond harvesting :). I just really enjoy the beautiful spring they provide and the yummy almond of course.

                        http://goblossomtrail.com/                                                                                      


We also have this really neat Blossom Trail here in the valley so if you are ever in Ca. in the spring it is a must do! I plan to do it this year it will be our first time.

I am Happy,

Sarah

7 comments:

  1. Those blossoms are beautiful. I have always enjoyed seeing the different row crops grown around our area. We have our share of orchards as well.

    Have a great day with your family. I bet the blossom trail is beautiful.

    ~Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those are pretty! I can not imagine how beautiful it is where you live with all the vineyards and row crop farms all around. Are the grapes you grow just for raisins or do you make juice out of them as well or just eat them off the vine (before they are raisins)? My mom has a couple of grape vines (greenish color grapes) and they just make jelly from them. They are a little tart to try to eat though. One of these days I'll have to take a trip to your state and see all the beauty there. Hope you have a great afternoon and thanks for sharing about the almonds that would be neat to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almond blossoms are so pretty. I had never seen them before. They kind of remind me of dogwoods.

    Have a nice evening,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cary Ann,

    We only make raisins out of ours. Some people sell there Thompsons "green" and they are used to make juice and wine. The nice big green grapes you get in the store are Thompson but when the vine bares fruit the farmer goes through and girdles the vine which cause the water in the vine not to be able to escape and it ends up in the grapes. This makes them much larger and juicer. When you girdle the vine it does need to be replaced sooner than a normal vine. Our vines are over 100 years old and our vineyard was planted using a mule. We will pick some off the vine before harvest and eat them. They are very sweet. We also have some red flames and red globes in our yard and we like to eat those off the vine. This year I would like to make some jelly. I would also like to have a juicer one of these days.

    Have a great day,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen an almond tree. They are beautiful! I never knew how almonds were harvested. You learn something new every day. :) CA is a beautiful state.

    Blessings,
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen an almond tree. They are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, thank you so much for sharing these pictures. They made me smile just looking at them. We have nothing in bloom here yet so I was pleased you shared yours with us. Enjoy your day and God bless.

    ReplyDelete